Escape Plan!

When I think about my future and what I would like for my life to be like...the most important aspect for me is being able to work for myself so that I can BE myself.  I crave a sense of living my life on my terms and not someone elses schedule.  It's gotten to a point where I just feel defeated.  I've been feeling trapped and unable to decide what it is that I actually want to do in order to make this goal a reality.  Over time, the two options that appeal to me the most and that I keep coming back to are Web Design and Photography.  Of the two, Photography is the one that I'm most passionate about and would like to focus my time on.

I've read and re-read Sarah's post on how she made the escape so many times that I've lost count...and I am so inspired by the life she's created for herself.  She's amazing.  So I've decided to take the advice she's given in that post and making a plan for myself!

What do I need in order to get started?
  • New Camera Gear
  • New Computer
  • Photoshop
  • Portfolio
  • Organized Workspace
  • Less Expensive Living Arrangement
  • Savings that will last me at least 6 months in expenses
So where do I go from here?
Well first things first, I have plenty to save up for.  The first three things on the list are NOT cheap by any means, but they ARE necessary.  That means I need to become very comfortable creating and maintaining a budget.  This in itself will be a challenge for me, but I can do it!  I hope to at least be able to save enough for new camera gear by August, because there's a course that I'd really like to take that begins that month.  While I'm saving up for the computer and Photoshop, I'll start practicing and building my portfolio by doing portraits for friends and family.  I just renewed my lease for another year this month, so this time next year, I'll be moving in with Matthew and my living expenses will be cut in half.  YAY!  Hopefully by that time I will have 6 months worth of expenses saved up, and can drop down to working part-time or less and can take on clients outside my circle.  I'll constantly be working on and revising this plan (which is very basic right now), but I hope to share much much more of my journey here on the blog.

Do you work for yourself or hope to someday?      

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Mindi! Good for you.

    I'm far too scared to attempt working for myself. The idea of not having a steady pay cheque freaks me right out!!

    It's exciting that you're taking control, though. I'm super pumped for you and I can't wait to hear how everything pans out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! The steady paycheck definitely freaks me out a bit too, but I think in the long run, even if I'm not making as much money-I'll be so much happier with what I'm doing. The fear of everything else is outweighed by my desire to do something I love. Oh and CONGRATS on your job news!!! I'll write you soon-I'm sorry it's been so long since I last responded!

      Delete
  2. Yay for making the decision to be self-employed!

    I am working very hard to become self-employed. My goal is to have my own online retail business. I enjoy making and selling things so much and I really don't like working for someone else. I like knowing that I can determine my hours, pay, environment and everything. I like being in control.

    I hope you reach your goal! If you don't know about this already but you should check out GIMP. It's an opensource program similar to Photoshop. It's free and can definitely practice with it until you get photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement! And the bit about GIMP too-I'll have to look into trying it for sure! And I wish you the best with your goals as well-it's going to be a rough road for me, but it's so encouraging to know others are out there running creative businesses.

      Delete
  3. Mindi I am not sure how/when I found you but I am so glad you popped up in my feed today!! I'm loving your blog and this post especially. I'm really excited for you. It reminds me of a quote: (sorry, it's long)

    “The world is full of fucking ‘why’ man. You tell people something, they’ll tell you ‘why’. Throw a rock, and you’ll hit somebody with ‘why’. Like, ‘hey, man, I want to make a movie.’ ‘Why?’ ‘Why do you think you can do that?’ ‘Why?’ ‘Why?’ ‘Nobody else is doing it. Why are you doing it?’
    You go out and find ‘Why not?’ You surround yourself with ‘Why not?’ People who are just like, ‘Why not?’ Where you’re like, ‘Hey, man, I’m gonna try something!’ and they’re like, ‘All right, why not? Let’s give it a shot.’ People who will try to help you try to help you do your dream, make your dreams come true and shit, and you’d do the same for fucking them. We’re all in this together, and it costs nothing to encourage a fucking artist.

    Just like Wayne Gretzky said, like, ‘you miss 100% of the shots you never take’. It’s always worth the fucking shot — I’m talking about artsy shit, you know: writing a blog, fucking making some music, making a movie, making a fucking cupcake store or a fucking knitting store or fucking putting together a YouTube clip, just anything that’s just not fucking ‘oh, we must do this because it’s part of my job’ or ‘this will get me money’. Some shit you just do to see if it can be done.”

    ReplyDelete