Goals for 2013

This past year went by so fast, and I feel like I did so little.  I did move to a new city in January: Fort Worth.  I got an apartment by myself for the first time in my life-and I've LOVED the feeling of independence it's given me.  I adopted a new kitty: Sprinkles. She's become an incredibly quirky (and very bratty!) part of the family and I cherish her!  I also created this blog last year, and I definitely let it go for the past few months.  I hope to do more this year, and so here is my 2013 goals to get me started:

Read 20 Books
I didn't read nearly as much as I intended to in 2012 and I'd like to turn that around this year.  I've been in the mood for something by Chuck Palahniuk (I still can't believe I haven't read any of his books yet!!!) and I feel a "true crime serial killer" kick coming on.  I have a somewhat unhealthy obsession with Serial Killers. 

Expand my Movie Collection
I can never have enough movies.  I admit that I spend way too much money on buying movies and movie tickets...but I have always been and always will be a total geek when it comes to movies.  These past few months have been a little tight, so I haven't indulged in movies as much as normal.  I'm determined to fix that! 

Take More Photos
I think I had a pretty good start with this last year, and then I just stopped.  I've almost completely stopped using my DSLR camera and have been sticking mostly to my point and shoot.  This has a lot to do with convenience as well as the fact that I don't have a decent camera bag to lug around.  Perhaps an online shopping trip at Jo Totes is in the near future :)  I want to capture more of everything this year so that I'll have lots to look back on.

Get My Etsy Shop Off To A Good Start
For the past couple of months I've been planning my Etsy shop and am getting closer and closer to being ready to open.  I still have quite a bit to do, but I plan on opening within the next couple of months.  I still have a few loose ends to tie up, and then it's on!  I can't wait!  More on that later!

Go On More Hiking Trips
There for a while, Matthew and I were going hiking every Sunday.  I loved it.  We missed it one weekend and then completely quit going.  I need to spend more time outdoors...I barricade myself into my apartment far to often.

Visit My Family More
It saddens me to think of how few times I made the trip back home to visit my family (it's only 2 hours away!)  I've driven down there and back 3 times in the last 10 days and I've enjoyed it so much!  There's a drive-in theatre about half way between here and there and I think it would be so great to have monthly family drive-in movie nights! 

Go On Weekend Vacations
There are so many really awesome places within a few hours drive that would be so nice to visit.  I have Sundays off and every other Saturday, so I should definitely put my longer weekends to good use and do this.  One of the first places I want to go?  Dinosaur Valley State Park in Glen Rose.  Awesome!!!!

Build my Insect/Flower/Bone Collections.
A few years ago I started collecting insects and storing them in my freezer with the intention of buying mounting supplies.  They stayed in my freezer and eventually they got thrown out.  This is something that I've always wanted to do, but just never got around to buying the supplies.  My little brother is getting into this as well and I'm looking forward to sharing our collections.  I also want to collect bones and start a flower collection.  Someday I'd love to get into skeleton articulations.  Who knows, maybe by the end of the year I'll have done that.  We'll see :)

Make Amigurumi Animals
I love to crochet and have always wanted to get into making Amigurumis.  They're so cute!!!!

Crochet a Granny Square Throw
I wanted to do this last year, and it just never happened.  I have the hardest time deciding on colors.  All I know is that I want the borders to all be an olive green color.  Any ideas?

Cook/Bake More
This year I asked for cooking/baking stuff with this goal in mind.  And I got them.  In 2012 I cooked a grand total of probably....6 times (I might be adding a few on there).  The top reasons for this are: I'm lazy when it comes to cooking, I'm a terrible grocery shopper/meal planner, and I didn't have much as far as cooking utensils go.  Pioneer Woman here I come.

Decorate My Apartment.
I've lived here for almost a year now, and my apartment is still super depressing.  Every single wall in my living room is bare aside from one lonely framed poster near the TV.  It's pathetic in here.  It has so much potential and I'm determined to make it a place I swoon over.

Build A Better Wardrobe
I adore cute clothes and would wear dresses every single day if I could.  I browse Mod Cloth all the time, but hardly ever buy anything.  One reason is because I can't afford it (because I don't save up for it) and the other reason is the good ol' "I want to lose weight first" excuse.  It's time for me to just love my body and embrace it now matter what size I am.  I'm ready to rock my wardrobe. 

Make Blog Friends
I'm socially awkward and painfully shy.  The idea of meeting people is incredibly intimidating to me.  Blog friends seems like a much more attainable goal for me than meeting new people in person from the start.  The blogging community is so welcoming and friendly-it just makes sense to me.

Get A Tortoise
Adding a tortoise to the family is something that Matthew and I have been talking about for a while now and I've decided to go for it.  The NARBC show is coming up next month and I'll be on the hunt for one there.

Replace My Car With Something More Reliable
If I lived close enough to my job to ride a bike, I would.  But I don't.  I've had my current car since 2006 (maybe 2005 I can't remember), and it's gotten me where I need to go....but it's time is coming to an end.  I absolutely hate having to make car payments, but it has to be done.  I don't want to spend more than 10,000.  I'm leaning towards a VW Beetle right now.  If I were comfortable driving a standard I'd love to get a classic one, but it would probably be more practical for me to get a newer model.  What do you think?

What are your goals for the new year?

9 comments:

  1. I loved reading this! I definitely have the serial killer bug too....I recommend checking out "choke" if you need a Palahniuk book that isn't too heavy on the mind but still a reeeeally great read. In 2012 summerish my roommate and I went on weekend vacations and it was one of the best decisions Ive made in awhile. I'm excited for 2013 and it sounds like youre off to a good start :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Choke is definitely on my starter Palahniuk list...along with Damned. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  2. Welcome back! Can't wait to see future posts! I hope you accomplish everything that you listed off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I might be able to help with making a new "blog" friend! I'm the same way! I feel a little anti-social some times because I just like to go home and be with my husband and our two cats!
    Something I'd like to do is become a better cook. My husband does all the cooking and I do all the baking (not complaining here!), but I'd love to go through my collection of cookbooks and feel somewhat accomplished by it! <3 2013 will be a great year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so nice that your husband does a lot of cooking-as an extension to my cooking/baking goal-I'll have to try and get Matthew to help me with both :)

      Delete
  4. What a list! It looks like you're about ready to kick 2013's butt. Good on ya.

    From your list, I think also need to work on reading more books, taking more pictures, get outdoors more and doing more weekend adventures. Thanks for the inspiration.

    (P.S. If you need yourself a blog friend, I'm here for ya! Let's break you out of your socially awkward shell, shall we!?)

    Happy New Year, Mindi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nicole! Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  5. I'm so socially awkward too! I'd love to make blog friends but I'd be too scared to meet them in real life!

    Becky
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such great 2013 goals! Good luck with them... one of mine is to bake/cook more as well. Happy New Year!
    Lizzy
    http://www.lizzylizano.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete