FF #4

I don't wanna sound like a total movie snob right now...but I'm the biggest movie buff/nerd that I know.  I love movies!  I can not get enough!  I can't think of anything I love more at the moment than the idea of just lounging around in my pajamas for a day of watching movies.  Paradise.
My love of movies has prompted me to be not-so-frugal and buy lots and lots of them.  I have an ever growing collection that (to me) never seems big enough.  I've been holding myself back for the past month or two though and haven't purchased any new movies (even though there are at least 4-6 out right now that I desperately want to ad to my collection-it's so frustrating!).  So today I thought it would be appropriate to share a few tips on how I keep my movie-hunger sated. 

1. Netflix.  I personally don't care that the prices went up a while back.  Even after they went up...it was still super cheap.  If you don't watch a lot of movies, I can see where paying a monthly fee for Netflix wouldn't be worth it.  But for people like me who watch movies almost daily (ok maybe a wee bit less..but not much)...it's totally awesome!  AND Matthew and I share an account so it's practically free for me right now anyways.  When I was a kid, my dad took us to the video store every weekend and let us each pick one movie.  He spent more in one weekend of rentals than it costs for one month of Netflix (maybe even two).  That's a pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

2. Amazon.  This one isn't free, but it's pretty darn cheap.  Amazon now has a wonderful little feature: Instant Watch.  It costs around 3 bucks on average to rent an 'instant-watch' film.  If you're dieing to watch something in particular and you couldn't find it on Netflix, your best shot is going to be Amazon.  They even have a few that aren't even in theaters yet!  I was browsing through there the other day and found out I could see The Good Doctor (go watch the trailer!) for $10.  I know that's a bit steep, but it's just an example.  Amazons selection is fantastic!

3. Pre-Owned.  There is a little used video store not far from me called The Movie Trading Co.  The selection is insane and the prices are even crazier.  I haven't been in a while because I AM trying to save money, but if there is a movie you MUST have for your collection, try finding a place that sells them used!  I've never had a problem with them not working or the boxes being scratched up. 
4. Movie Swap.  Call up a few of your friends and get together to trade movies.  Watch them together or take them home with you.  Either way you're getting to see something new and so are your friends :)

5. Discount tickets.  Matthew and I love movie dates.  It's sort of our thing.  To save on going to the movies we almost always go to the matinee showings.  The crowds are smaller and the tickets are much cheaper.  I haven't been to a dollar theater in a long time, but when I lived in Waco, Tuesdays were my solo-movie days.  I took myself to see a movie every Tuesday because it was only 50 cents.  I got to have my me time and see a movie too.  It was great :)

These are my main thrifty movie moves.  If you're a movie lover like myself, I hope you can appreciate these tips.  What are your favorite ways to save on movies?

11 comments:

  1. A post after my own heart! From one movie lover to another, I keep my obsession alive by buying movies that are on sale. Major stores like Target have older movies at discount prices every single day, and they offer sales on new DVDs every week. Oh, and during the holidays stores have crazy sales! I brought The Dark Knight for a dollar a few Christmases ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woah a dollar! That's awesome! Target does have really good movie sales and a great selection too!

      Delete
    2. P.S. That is such a great movie!

      Delete
    3. I love that movie! Have you seen The Dark Knight Rises yet? It's so amazing.

      Delete
    4. OH MY GOSH I KNOW!!! I love Christian Bale as Batman. I can not wait to see it again :)

      Delete
  2. I love movies too! In fact I just did a review on a movie. I stayed with netflix even though their prices rose because I love british tv and movies and they have a large selection. I also use Amazon too because they often have new movies that Netflix doesn't have available yet. I'm a complete movie addict.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love British tv too-my favorite British shows at the moment are Downton Abbey and Sherlock-I can't wait for the new seasons!!!

      Delete
    2. Have you watched Luther? It is awesome! Some might even say it's better than Sherlock. Oh, and it's available on Netflix.

      Delete
    3. I've seen Luther and Love it! Idris Elba is amazing. Sherlock is pretty awesome too.

      Delete
    4. Oh my way over to Netflix now to check out Luther!

      Delete