Photo Flashback: July 2010-2011

I'm so excited to share this months Photo Flashback photos!  I only shared four photos last month and there wasn't too much excitement going on there.  I have quite a bit more to share in this post and you get to learn some exciting things about me!  So here we go:
Considering the extreme summer heat (see photo below), this is definitely out of place.  I learned to crochet hats that month and I just couldn't stop!

The weather this year isn't much different.


Yep-I was a beekeeper.  Notice the word WAS.  Unfortunately, my bees got mixed up with local bees and turned very very aggressive.  My beehive was at my dads house and he couldn't even work in his garden anymore because he was constantly being attacked by multiple bees.  It was pretty bad.  After having the hive for 3 years, we had to destroy it.  Before they got that way, beekeeping was one of my favorite/relaxing hobbies.  I read a book on it a few years back and it was instant love.  I'll never forget the day my package of bees arrived.  The post office was angry, but I was so happy bringing that buzzing package home and introducing those girls to their new home.  I'd love to do it again someday, but it won't be any time soon.


I haven't posted about this little girl yet (I promise I will!), but this is Daisy.  In July of last year my mom called saying that there was a baby skunk laying next to her mother in the road.  The mother had been run over and was dead.  I quickly grabbed a pair of gloves and ran up the road to meet her with a carrier.  The baby didn't put up a fight at all and I wasn't sure if it was shock, dehydration, an injury, or all three.  I did some quick research on the Internet and set up a vet appointment to get her checked out.  I know that a lot of people will disagree with raising a wild animal with the intention of keeping it as a pet.  I happen to be someone who agrees with that statement.  In the case of a skunk who has no chance of survival on her own, I decided that I just couldn't let that happen and made the decision to raise her myself.  Part of that decision was getting her scent gland removed.  Doing this meant that she could never be released into the wild, because she wouldn't have a way of defending herself.  This makes me sad, but at the same time I'm happy that she got a second chance at life.  She happily resides at Matthews house.  She has a very large two story rabbit hutch and a large cyclone fenced area to play in.  She's very happy and healthy and loves people.
So there you have it!  If you missed the Photo Flashback in June you can see it here!

6 comments:

  1. Daisy is the cutest thing ever! So glad you gave her a second shot at a good life :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you, rescuing a skunk! I thought I was an animal lover, but I'll be honest in saying I am impressed! She looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart broke to hear about Daisy's beginnings! But I'm so happy you saved her! I cannot wait to hear more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you girls so much! I can't wait to share more about her either :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness you are amazing bees and skunks I have a new hero! We had a skunk incident here in my back yard and despite the smell I could not get over how stinking cute that little sucker was! I CANNOT wait to hear more about Daisy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmmm I never thought I'd say this but how cute is that skunk?!

    xo Shane

    ReplyDelete