FF #2

This week I wanted to share a few simple ways to start growing your savings.  I have consistently been terrible about saving money in the past and I think my two biggest problems have been impulse buying and fast food.  I have to say that I'm very impressed with myself lately for not giving in to impulse buys.  There have been sooo many things I've wanted to buy for the past month, and I just told myself no.  Now that doesn't mean I'm completely depriving myself though, I do still treat myself to something nice every now and then, but not like my usual self.  I've also been packing a lunch for work most days or eating at home when I'm not at work.  That's made a BIG difference.  I'm proud to say that in the last two weeks I've managed to grow my savings from $0.00 to over $200!  I don't know about you, but for me that's a lot.  So for today's Frugal Friday post I thought I'd share a few tips that have been working for me!  Here are the ways I've been saving:

1.  Good old fashioned coin jar.  I have an old glass pickle jar (the jumbo size) that I always toss my change into.  If I've got change in my pockets from being out or if I find change in my bag or car (which I need to do again), then I go ahead and toss it into the old jar.  Before going on our little trip to Rockport, I decided to cash in what I had and to use that as my vacation money.  I only had the jar a quarter of the way full, and I ended up with over $70!  So to fill the jar up completely would give me somewhere around at least $280!  Maybe I'll label it the "tattoo savings" jar!  Every time I fill it up completely I'll schedule myself a tattoo session :)

2.  I saw this floating around Pinterest and thought I'd give it a try: $5 jar.  It works exactly the same way as a coin jar, but instead of coins you just toss in your $5 bills.  Say you go to the movies and buy your ticket or snacks and the change you get back includes a few ones and a five.  Set the five aside and commit to adding it to your $5 bill jar!  I haven't used cash much lately (which I SHOULD do instead of using my card), but so far I've got 15 bucks. 

3.  Round your paycheck to the nearest hundred and put the rest in your savings.  Say your paycheck is 340.  Round that to 300 and toss the 40 into savings.  Maybe I'm easily amused or whatever, but I look forward to every paycheck because I never know how much this part is going to be.

4.  Save 10% of every paycheck.  I do this after I do #3.  It's simple and for me it's typically the same amount every time.

I hope these little tips will help you as much as they've helped me.  Do you have any special ways you like to save?     

7 comments:

  1. Some great ideas here! At the moment, I'm saving for my wedding next year so these are great.

    I have a coin jar too and I have been saving about 20% of my pay (woah, that's a lot!). It's getting there but saving is such a slow process!

    Becky
    xx

    http://www.beckybedbug.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 20% is awesome!!! It's definitely slow. Congrats on the wedding by the way!

      Delete
  2. I love the round to the nearest hundred and save the rest tip. Hadn't heard that one before, but its a great idea. Gonna try that the next couple months. :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck! It really has helped me alot and like I said-it's kinda fun because I never know how much it's going to be :)

      Delete
  3. I have yet to get a jar. Change goes everywhere. Must get on this soon. I always hear about people finally cashing in their change and it ranges from $80-$200. Ahh that would be amazing.

    You should label it tattoo savings! Reward yourself :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tattoo Savings it is :) I'll have to do update posts on it every now and then and share my progress!

      Delete
  4. i love the idea of the $5 jar. Yes, I need to start using cash more than card. Right now I have a $100 bill in my wallet, as an emergency money and yet it's been helping me (reminding me) to use it ONLY for emergency. For some reason it's helping me to spend less too, hehe. i haven't been shopping lately since i put that reminder $100 in my wallet.

    ReplyDelete