FF #1

1.  Beat the heat and enjoy the water!  This summer is proving to be one of the hottest yet and what better way to spend your time than in the water!  Do you live near the beach?  Is there a lake in your town?  Are you lucky enough to live somewhere near a pretty creek or even a swimming hole?  Do you have access to a pool?  Most of these places are absolutely free and when I think about how hot it is outside, I can't think of anything better than cannon balling myself into a big cool body of water.  Don't forget the sunscreen!

2.  Go Hiking!  Do an Internet search for locations near you that are great for hiking and don't cost you anything.  Before moving to Fort Worth I lived in the country and hiking was something I never had to worry about paying for.  All I had to do was step out my front door and go.  Now that I'm an apartment dweller, I've been taking advantage of opportunities to go hiking here in Fort Worth.  If you've been following my blog, you'll know that for the past three weeks, Matthew and I have gone hiking every Sunday.  It's become my favorite day of the week and I look forward to it so much!  I always take a camera along for snapshots of nature and little treasures found along the way.  Make sure to take lots of water, you don't want to end up like me on our first hiking trip!

3. Visit a museum or go to the zoo!  I always enjoy trips to museums, and the zoo is one of my favorite places.  I don't know of any free zoos around here, but they do exist so do a search to see if there's one near you!  There are a couple of great museums here that are free and they're really nice too.  The best things about museums in the summer?  They're air conditioned!  *happy dance*  So if you're looking for something free that keeps you out of the heat (and out of the house), the museum is a great choice!  If you live in the Fort Worth area I recommend the Kimbell Art Museum and the Amon Carter Museum.  The Modern Art Museum of Fort Worth is excellent and is free every Wednesday and on the first Sunday of every month. 

4.  Enjoy a board game or card game!  Or even better, throw a board game party!!!  Call up a few friends and have them bring over board games and a snack or drinks.  To keep it free just whip up something you already have on hand. 

5.  Kick back and enjoy a good book or movie!  I have accumulated quite the collection of DVDs and books-some of which I haven't read or watched yet.  Although it isn't free, if you already have a Netflix account it will cost you nothing this weekend to pick out a few movies to watch instantly.  And as far as books, make a trip to your local library!

Think back to when you were a kid, what did you do to entertain yourself?  Go for a bike ride, play a video game, take your pooch for a walk around the neighborhood, or do some gardening!  What's your favorite way to spend a weekend when you don't have money to spend?

I hope you all have a great weekend and I'll see you on Monday for another Mani-Monday post!

6 comments:

  1. Great ideas. I think hiking is #1 on my list, and then follow that with a movie later that night. :)

    Hope you've got some great weekend plans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me and my husband are big fans of playing card games to save money and have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Matthew and I don't know any card games, but it would be fun to learn at least one. Do you have a favorite?

      Delete
  3. Since the weather has been so hot I have been thinking about what I did as a kid. I lived in a somewhat rural town back then and I remember bike riding, swimming in my pool or a friends, sleepovers, and playing in the woods. I was also sent to day camp when I lived in the city with Dad. So I definitely did a variety of things. One of the best ways my boyfriend and I like to have a cheap date is to go bbqing in the nearby park. I kind of feels like we are out and enjoying the day but we are spending money on food.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Riding bikes was something my sisters and I did almost on a daily basis. Oh and rollerblading too! BBQing in the park sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete