Top 5 Thursday: Films I Loved as a Kid

As a little girl I watched A LOT of movies.  My dad took my sisters and I to the movies every weekend, and let us each pick out a movie at the video store as well.  My aunt is also a big movie buff and had an enormous collection of movies.  She babysat us a lot when we were little and so we watched a lot of movies with her as well.  One of my greatest memories is of when my sisters and I would be home alone and we would each pick out a movie to watch.  Once we had made our choices, one of us would volunteer to be the waitress for lunch.  Whoever was the waitress for the day would come by with a notepad and take our order (which was always the same...sandwiches,tea, and occasionally cheese dip).  Then we'd all help make the food and have a movie marathon :)  It was great!  So today I thought I'd share a list of my favorite movies that I watched a lot as a little girl.  They may not be what you'd expect, but these were my favorites:
   
  1. Labyrinth.  One of two Jim Henson movies on this list-I love it love it love it!  Jennifer Connelly plays Sarah, a teenager who wishes her baby brother Toby away to the the Goblin King who is played by David Bowie.  To get him back she must complete his Labyrinth in 13 hours or the Goblin King will keep Toby and turn him into a goblin.  I love David Bowie as the Goblin King!  See the trailer here.
  2. The Dark Crystal. And here is the second Jim Henson movie on the list.  Jen, supposedly the last of his kind (Gelflings), is on a quest to restore order to his world by recovering the dark crystal from the skeksis.  While on his quest; he finds Kira, a Gelfling girl, and together the two of them journey to complete their quest.  Just a good ol' "good vs. evil" film.  :)  See the trailer here.
  3. Legend. Yep-that's Tom Cruise!  Legend is one of his earliest movies.  I loved this movie so much as a kid and I still do.  Tom Cruise plays a forest boy named Jack who is in love with the princess: Lili who is played by Mia Sara.  The demon of the film who is referred to as "Darkness" (Tim Curry!) wants to marry Lili and create an eternal night by killing the last of the unicorns and therefore eradicating all that is good.  Jack and his allies must save Lili and the last unicorn and defeat Darkness before it's too late.  Obviously I was a big fan of fantasy/magical movies as a kid :)  See the trailer here.
  4. The Princess Bride. Okay, if I could choose one movie on this list that I would consider a must see for anyone...it would be The Princess Bride.  It's just an all around fun film that just makes me happy when I watch it :)  "A classic fairy tale, with swordplay, giants, an evil prince, a beautiful princess, and yes, some kissing (as read by a kindly grandfather)."-IMDB.  Starring Cary Elwes as Westley and Robin Wright as Princess Buttercup.  See the trailer here.
  5. Willow.  Yet another fantasy film!  Willow(Warwick Davis) is an apprentice magician who meets Madmartigan (Val Kilmer) a great swordsman and together the two embark on a quest to save the baby princess, Elora, from the evil Queen Bavmorda. see the trailer here
BONUS!
I couldn't leave this list without also including The Neverending Story.  It fits right in with the rest of the movies on this list and I loved it just as much.  See the trailer here.
I hope you enjoyed my list of films I loved as a kid, what were some of your favorites growing up?

13 comments:

  1. I love Legend, Willow and Labyrinth! I actually watched it recently. I didn't know you are on blogger now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I loved the princess bride!!!

    Inconceivable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I've never actually seen The Princess Bride, but everyone says it's my kind of movie.

    As a kid my favorite movies were things like Kindergarten Cop, Three Men and a Baby, Look Who's Talking, and Star Trek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Kindergarten Cop as well-such a great movie!

      Delete
  4. OMG! Your childhood movies are STILL some of my favourite movies! Those films make my heart happy. (I'd have to add The Last Unicorn and the list is pretty complete!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eeep I love The Last Unicorn! Not too many people have seen that one!

      Delete
  5. I sincerely love this post! Labyrinth, Willow, The Princess Bride are all in my top films, both as a child and now. I think I'd have to add The Wizard of Oz onto this list, simply because my sister and I used to watch it without pause when we were little. Thank you for the great memories!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! I don't know why we didn't have the original Wirzard of Oz...but we did have Return to Oz and I loved that one so much!

      Delete
  6. Ah! These movies are all on my top favorites list! Except I have never seen Willow. Off too look it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh! If you love the others I'm sure you'll really like Willow! If you watch it let me know what you think!

      Delete
  7. YES!!! Princess Bride, Willow and Never Ending Story are on my list of all time favorite childhood movies!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It makes me so so happy to know that so many others count these as favorites!!!

    ReplyDelete