Hiking Adventure and Snapshots #1

Over the weekend, Matthew and I decided to turn Sundays into our weekly hiking day.  His parents found a really nice hiking place about 15 minutes from us and so we decided to go check it out.  It was so nice!  There are quite a few different trails you can follow and they have them color coded (maybe by difficulty?...We made the mistake of not checking and I feel like we went on the most difficult one).  The trail we chose ends up leading down to the lake and there are picnik areas and swimming and all of that great stuff.  It takes a couple of miles to get to the lake, but we were set on getting there.  What I did no anticipate was the heat combined with the amount of uphill climbing we did.  I've lived in Texas my entire life, but I've never gotten used to how hot it can be here sometimes.  It was over 100 degrees when we went and most of the trail was full sun.  There were a few shaded places, but they were far and few between.  I'm embarrased to say it, but I actually got really sick.  I nearly blacked out and had to stop...and then I got sick.  It was terrible.  The combination of hot hot heat, being terribly out of shape, and me maybe not drinking enough water while we were out there are the reasons I didn't handle it well.  When we finally got back to the car we rested for a bit and then felt a lot better.  Even though I got sick and totally sucked at hiking that trail, it's something I want to keep doing and get better at.  I've always loved hiking...this trail was just particularly difficult.  Next time we're going on one of the easier trails and paying more attention to the maps and what the colors mean.  Anywho here are a few photos I snapped along the trail.  Enjoy!








I loved this "sort of" heart shaped cactus!  Pretty neat!
  I just took a look at the weather forecast for the next ten days here and there's only one day that will be under 100 degrees and that's Sunday.  We'll be hiking again that day, wish me luck on not getting sick this time! 

9 comments:

  1. I went on a hike on Sunday too! The colors are just a way to find the correct trail you are on. They called blazes. Sometimes the trails crossover and they'll have more than one color blaze on a tree. It helps guide your way. Keep an eye on the mileage for hikes and the elevation. We went on a 3.3mile hike and it took 2hrs. We had to go downhill and uphill. Always drink tons of water before and during the hike. Keeps you hydrated and since you are sweating.. you won't actually have to pee during the hike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the tips :) I'm picking up a camel back at the sporting goods store this week for sure instead of lugging around my water bottle-it got warm pretty quick.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, it's supposed to be at 100 all week this week here -_-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeep! Well good luck keeping cool :) I'm expecting my electricity bill to skyrocket this month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, that sounds like an exciting hike. Sorry you got to feeling so bad. Heat can just take it out of you. From the looks of it, though, you were able to enjoy the scenery for a while. It looks so pretty out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww sorry that you got sick. I hope you cool down next time!

    I want to hike so badly but with the heat (not as high as Texas) I'm dying! Without uphill would be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I know! Something flat would be just perfect. We're picking another trail when we go again this Sunday, and I'm hoping it's mostly flat. We'll see!

      Delete
  6. Looks like an awesome time!

    I'm a new follower and I nominated you for the Liebster award! Go check it out: http://www.anunordinaryhello.com/2012/06/liebster-award.html

    Christen :>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Christen! I'm headed over now to check it out!

      Delete